I’m just going to say it: There are marketing gurus out there who are just out to make a buck, will say anything to get your money, and prey upon your emotions to close a sale.
And I hate it every time a Lightworker or purpose-driven entrepreneur hires one of these types of marketing gurus because I know the energies are not aligned.
In this week’s marketing strategy, I outline the six things you should watch out for when you’re thinking about hiring a marketing expert. Yes, get the marketing help you need – but not from these Predatory Marketing Gurus. You deserve better than that.
I recently opted in to receive a free book from a noted marketing expert*.
I love a good book, but I was equally curious about how this marketer would leverage his book to market to me.
Here’s what happened:
- I completed the opt-in page for the book and clicked through to get the accompanying free training.
- I was taken to a webpage where I listened to a sales video about a $300 product.
- I wasn’t interested. To get to my free training, I had to click a button that read “No, I am not interested in getting more clients now.”
- Then a new page appeared, where I was pitched the same product again – this time with a payment plan.
- I declined again.
- I was then shown another video on a completely different product – with a two-part payment plan. I still wasn’t interested and declined again (yes, still clicking the “No, I am not interested in getting more clients now” button).
- Finally, I reached the last screen where I could access the free training I was promised with the book.
I was so exhausted and annoyed after being pitched to three times, I decided to not watch the free training video. Continue reading