Let’s admit it: Entrepreneurs are control freaks and, as a result, want to control everything when it comes to their businesses and marketing.
Hey, I get it, because I’m a “control enthusiast” too.
I love to be in control! Being in control feels like I can dictate the outcomes.
Truth be told, though, it’s just a perception, isn’t it?
I mean – are we really in control of every aspect of our marketing?
No. We are not in control of everything in marketing.
When you realize this, it should help you loosen your grip and feel better about your marketing results. Chances are, you are worried about things you have no control over.
Please keep reading to learn more about what you’re really controlling in your marketing – and how to lean into what you can control (truly).
I love to create graphics that enhance the learning in my weekly marketing strategies. Please feel free to share these on your social media!
Do marketing and control go together?
In some ways, yes. You can control certain things about marketing. In other ways, no. Some marketing is completely out of your control.
Often we try to control every aspect of our marketing (even though it’s fruitless).
What can you control in marketing?
Let’s make a list of what you control from a marketing perspective:
- Writing a marketing plan
- Implementing your marketing plan
- Meeting a deadline
- Following up with your sales prospects
- Showing up for a networking meeting
- Getting your business card printed
- Feeling joyful about your marketing
- Expressing gratitude to your current clients
What can’t you control in marketing?
Now, let’s look at what you can’t control about marketing:
- Someone referring business to you
- An ideal client purchasing from you
- A customer giving you a raving testimonial
- A sales prospect going with your competitor
- Hitting your monthly revenue goal
You might think you have control over these activities, but you don’t. All of these activities are beyond your control.
Let’s take a deeper look into these scenarios:
- You can make sure a referral partner has all the information to refer you, but you can’t control that he’ll actually refer you.
- You can control how you talk about your service with an ideal client, but you can’t control if she decides to purchase from you.
- You can ask for testimonials, but you aren’t in control of customers giving testimonials to you.
- You can explain your differentiators to your sales prospects, but you have no control over whether or not he goes with your competitor.
- You can work your butt off to meet your revenue goal, but you (absolutely) do not have control over whether you’ll meet it or not.
See? You can control what you implement, but after that, it’s up to the other person. The other person has free will. You do your best, and then leave it to The Universe to deliver.
You are only in control of you
I teach you this for one reason…
I want you to stop stressing about marketing results you have no control over.
If you can’t control it, then don’t give it another thought! You are wasting your precious energy. And from a Law of Attraction perspective, you are vibrating at a low level (worrying), which will never garner the results you’re looking for.
When I accepted what I can’t control about my marketing, it changed my business for the better. I had a much improved mindset! And I attracted more clients and made more money.
This may sound counterintuitive, but clear your mind and think about this: You are only in control of what you feel, believe, and do. That’s it.
Everything else (customers buying from you, partners referring to you) is outside of your control.
If it helps, make a list of what you can can control in your marketing. And then make a list of what you have no control over. Post this list in your workspace to remind you, especially during times when you are stressing over things you can’t control.
You can be a marketing success when you focus on what you can do. Stay in a positive mindset, and you’ll love the results!
Need more marketing inspiration?
If you need more ideas on how to get clients, check out my Magnetic Marketing Checklist (it’s a free download!). It’s packed with ideas on how to authentically attract more customers to your business.
Hi, I’m Jill Celeste. I teach purpose-driven entrepreneurs (just like you) everything you need to know about marketing so you can become the Director of Marketing for your business.
Because when you put your Director of Marketing hat squarely on your head, marketing is your number one priority (which will result in more clients!).
When I am not teaching about marketing, you’ll find me hanging out with my husband or my teenage boys, or taking a nap with my basset hound, Emma. I also like to play with my two kittens and feed the backyard ducks (much to my neighbor’s chagrin).
If you’re feeling alone in your entrepreneurial journey, I invite you to check out my monthly membership group, The Celestial Circle. Affordable, loving, supportive, informative, and fun – that’s how we roll in The Celestial Circle. We would love to welcome you!